Wheeling Intelligencer, April 6, 1923.
John T. Scott, pioneer lumber dealer of the Ohio Valley, died Thursday afternoon at 3 o'clock at New Castle, Pa.
Death occurred at the home of his daughter where he had been visiting the past several months in an effort to regain his health. Mr. Scott had enjoyed good health until the summer of last year. Since that time he had been steadily growing weaker. Cessation from business and complete rest did him little good and he left Bridgeport for New Castle.
John Scott was president of the Scott Lumber Co., of Bridgeport, for sometime president of the Dollar Savings Bank of Bridgeport; director of the Bridgeport Savings, Loan and Building Association; vice president of the Hamlet of Kirkwood Real Estate Co.; president of the Wheeling Development Co., of Norfolk, Va.; president of the Campestella Land Co. of Norfolk and president of the Linwood Cemetery Association.
Isaac M. Scott, president of the Wheeling Steel Corporation, and William W. Scott, secretary of the Scott Lumber Co. of Bridgeport, are surviving brothers.
John T. Scott was born on the Scott farm near Morristown, Ohio on September first, 1849. While he was still a small boy the family moved to New Comerstown, Ohio where he lived until the age of 19 when he came to Bridgeport, Ohio and entered the employ of the R. J. Baggs & Sons Lumber Company as a shipping clerk.
He was united in marriage on June 7th, 1881, to Mary L. Howell of Bridgeport, and to this union two children were born, Rebecca, who died at the age of seven, and Sarah, now Mrs. Murrow D. Wells, of New Castle, Pennsylvania. Mrs. Scott died February 14th, 1910.
Mr. Scott was always very active in the religious and industrial life of the community in which he lived. On March 20th, 1870 he united with the Kirkwood Presbyterian Church, and always remained a faithful consistent worker. In 1885 he was elected a member of the session, and has served as clerk of the session for the past twelve years.
Having always been interested in the affairs of the church at large, he frequently represented the local church in the meetings of the St. Clairsville presbytery, and had a number of times represented the presbytery in the meetings of the Ohio synod, and a few years ago represented the presbytery at the meeting of the general assembly of the Presbyterian church at Des Moines, Iowa.
His interest in church work also included active service [in] the Sunday school, having taught a class more than twenty-five years. This class is now organized in his honor as the "John T. Scott Bible class."
He was greatly interested in the moral and social welfare of the community and at one time served as president of the board of education of Bridgeport.
Being a staunch Republican, he was always very interested and well informed on every political issue of importance.
During his business lifetime, he had seen the business in which he was most actively engaged grow from a small beginning to the largest and best equipped lumber and builders' supply organization in the Ohio valley -- the Scott Lumber company now having in addition to its large yards at Bridgeport, branch yards at Martins Ferry, Warwood, Wellsville and Morgantown.
Besides this daughter, he is survived by two sisters, Mrs. Maggie Hamilton of Salem, O., and Mrs. F. C. Woodcock, of Bridgeport, and two brothers, Isaac M. Scott, of Wheeling, now president of the Wheeling Steel corporation, and William W. Scott, of Bridgeport, secretary of the Scott Lumber company.
The body will be taken to the home of W. W. Scott late this afternoon and funeral services will be held in the Kirkwood Presbyterian church at 2:30 Saturday afternoon, Rev. John W. Neel, pastor, officiating. Interment will follow at Linwood cemetery.
In the death of John T. Scott, not only Bridgeport, but the entire community, loses a valuable citizen, a kindhearted generous Christian man.
© Wheeling Intelligencer; reproduced with permission.
Ohio County Public Library Vertical File.
Service provided by the staff of the Ohio County Public Library in partnership with and partially funded by Wheeling National Heritage Area Corporation.