from the Wheeling Intelligencer, April 18, 1923
A home grown or native product, casting his lot with the Schrader family then living on Main street, on a spring morning -- April 5th. After attending and graduating from Wheeling schools he entered the law officers of Russell & Stifel, where the next five years were spent in law and stenography. He later continued his shorthand studies at the Cincinnati School of Phonography and the Phonographic Institutute of Cincinnati.
The proficiency he developed took him into the profession of court reporting and he has been in that line of work continuously for thirty years and has been the official Court Reporter for Ohio county since 1893. For upwards of twenty years he has been official reporter of the West Virginia Senate and probably no man in the reporting profession is better known to his fellows than Lew.
For many years he has been active in the work of the National Shorthand Reporters Association and since 1899 when it was organized in Chicago, he has rarely failed in attendance at a National Convention. He was a moving spirit in the organization of the West Virginia State Association of Shorthand Reporters and was its first president.
Is a member of the board of directors of the Epworth Park Chatauqua Association, Bethesda, Ohio, and has served as its secretary. He likewise has a summer home at Bethesda.
After falling in love and concluding he could not live without her, he was joined in marriage on November 5th, 1908 for Alberta Prince, an Island Queen and the daughter of Captain Prince, of river fame. To this union one son, Henry Stifel Schrader has been given and Henry gives promise of keeping alive the Schrader spirit of working.
A Thomson Methodist, a B. P. O. E. No. 28, a live Rotarian, and a member of the City Board of Education, Lew always has enough work on hand to keep a busy man employed. A great student, mild in manner, soft in speech he enjoys as a diversion the movies and music and shows.
We join your legion of friends in the wish that you may long be spared to Rotary and the community and to have an increasing joy in service.
© Wheeling Intelligencer; reproduced with permission
From the OCPL Vertical File.
Service provided by the staff of the Ohio County Public Library in partnership with and partially funded by Wheeling National Heritage Area Corporation.