At noon yesterday, Mr. E. J. Stone died at his residence on South Front street, Island, in the sixty-seventh year of his age. Mr. Stone was one of the best known of our citizens, and his death, though not unexpected, caused great sorrow all over the city. Deceased was born in November, 1819, in Enfield, Massachusetts, and came to the Ohio valley in 1838. He first located in Meade county, Ohio, where he taught school. In 1839 he removed to Wheeling, and for several years was engaged as a clerk in various stores. In 1844 or '45 Mr. Stone embarked in the coal trade with Mr. Jacob Thomas, and the two gentlemen traveled up and down the river in the pursuit of their business, being only in the city at intervals. In 1846 he located in the city permanently, going into the dry goods store of Goodrich & Co. Later he was taken in as a partner, but soon sold out. In September, 1847, deceased embarked in the dry good business with Mr. Thomas, locating on Main street, nearly opposite the present store of Stone & Thomas. Two years later the firm crossed the street, and has since occupied the same premises, doing at all times a large retail business.
In 1846 deceased married Miss Elizabeth Thomas. She survives her husband, together with seven children -- three girls and four boys.
Mr. Stone's active and tireless labors in the cause of Christianity are well known. A member of the M. E. Church, and a regularly ordained minister, he was active in building up the Thompson M. E. Church of the Island, and largely through his exertions the congregation has grown to be one of the largest in the city, comfortably housed in a substantial church edifice.
As a business man Mr. Stone met with signal success, amassing a considerable fortune, which is largely invested in real estate.
The time of the funeral has not yet been fixed.
Service provided by the staff of the Ohio County Public Library in partnership with and partially funded by Wheeling National Heritage Area Corporation.