George Simon Eberts, of 401 Richland avenue, Warwood, died Wednesday afternoon after an illness of five weeks. He was only in his 55th year, having been born March 29, 1867, at the Old Stone House between Bridgeport and Blaine, Ohio.
In 1871, Mr. Eberts' parents, Jacob and Caroline Eberts, moved with their family to Richland district, and what is now South Warwood, where he has spent the whole of his life.
From boyhood he was interested in truck gardening, which he continued until about seventeen years ago. Mr. Eberts was married on March 13, 1888 to Miss Agnes Weiske. Since that time the deceased has been interested in various interests in Warwood, his most recent work being with the local Wheeling Wall Plaster branch until May, 1919. At that time the Glennova Coal company was organized by members of the family with properties on Glenns Run, and Mr. Eberts has since been the manager of that concern.
Even before the present school arrangement in Richland district went into effect, George Eberts was a district trustee and had taken a most active interest in all school affairs, many times neglecting his own personal affairs to give attention to this public work. Since the present organization of the Richland school district, he had been on the board of education, all except one year, accepting the responsibility of late years only on the earnest solicitation of the patrons of the schools. In politics he was a Democrat, but desirous of no official place save his useful service for the schools.
Mr. Eberts was one of the incorporators of the Bank of Warwood in May, 1911, and has served on the board of directors since that time, always active in the progress of that growing institution., of which his oldest son, Carl H. is the cashier. Two other sons also survive to honor his name, George J., who has for 14 years been with the John S. Naylor company, and who is now secretary of the company, and Harry W., assistant secretary and treasurer of the Valley Grove Coal company, with offices in Bellaire.
The deceased was baptized as a child in the Zion Lutheran church and as a young man atended the St. James Lutheran church quite regularly with his parents. About ten years he became an active member of the First Lutheran church, transferring his membership along with his wife and two sons to the Warwood Lutheran church in April, 1917. He has been very anxious about the work of the Warwood church since that time and many men with whom he has come in contact have received an invitation to come to church.
Besides the immediate family, Mrs. Eberts, Mr. and Mrs. Carl H. and son Herman, Mr. and Mrs. George J. and Harry W., Mr. Eberts is survived by one brother William C. of this city, and four sisters, Mrs. Philipina wolf of Warwood; Mrs. H. G. Weiske, of Charleston, and Mrs. Frank J. Gardner and Mrs. Hannah Korn of Wheeling.
Arrangements for Mr. Eberts' funeral were not complete last night.
Wheeling Intelligencer, July 21, 1921.
from the OCPL vertical file
Service provided by the staff of the Ohio County Public Library in partnership with and partially funded by Wheeling National Heritage Area Corporation.