An event which will be celebrated unostentatiously, but which is nevertheless an important milestone in the lives of one of Ohio county's most distinguished couples, will take place today, when Mr. and Mrs. A. E. Carter celebrate their 49th wedding anniversary, the occasion also being Mrs. Carter's 68th birthday.
Mr. and Mrs. Carter were married at the home of her parents, Col. and Mrs. Thomas Y. Hervey, now the site of the new Ohio county Infirmary, March 20, 1873, by the late Rev. Laverty Grier. The started housekeeping on the William Faris farm the patent having been received by Mr. Faris from Patrick Henry, governor of Virginia. They remained on that farm for over 31 years when Mr. Carter puchased the homestead of Rev. Laverty Greer, adjacent to what is now Elm Court, where they have since resided.
Today they celebrate their wedding anniversary by moving to their new and modern home in Elm Court.
Mr. and Mrs. Carter are the oldest married couple of the Stone Presbyterian church, both of whom have been communicants there more than 55 years, where Mr. Carter has been an elder for many years. Mrs. Carter has also been very active in the women's organization there.
Although they reared a family of 13 children, eight girls and five boys, residing for many years where it was impossible at times to procure the services of a physician, all the children are living, some of whom are among the leading business men of this section, while others have gone to distant parts of the country.
Mr. Carter was always a shewd judge of live stock, a good horseman and an expert shot with the old squirrel rifle. At the age of 76 he can take a peep-site rifle and out shoot scores of younger men. While Mr. Carter in his younger days went in quest of game, Mrs. Carter whiled away much of her time making carpet rags since she has shown a preference for hand-loomed rugs. With a kind work for everyone, Mrs. Carter is a woman beloved by all and her staunch character reflects the ruggedness of her Scotch-Irish ancestry.
Wheeling Intelligencer, March 20, 1922.
from the OCPL Vertical File.
Service provided by the staff of the Ohio County Public Library in partnership with and partially funded by Wheeling National Heritage Area Corporation.