Among the diversified industries of Wheeling a long-established and important one is the calico printing establishment of J.L. Stifel & Sons, at the corner of Main and Ninth streets. This firm makes indigo prints exclusively, buying the cotton direct from the mills and importing their own dye stuffs from Calcutta.
In 1835 J.L. Stifel established this business. In 1844 he removed to the present location, which has since been greatly enlarged. In 1866 his two sons, L.C. and William F. Stifel, were taken into the firm, which became J.L. Stifel & Sons, and the style of the firm continues so, although the founder of the house retired in 1877 and died a few years later. The building is 132 by 166 feet. The Messrs. Stifel expect to increase their facilities shortly to twice the present capacity. For a long time their products had only a local market, but are now sold all over the West and Northwest. Their prints have a well earned reputation for high and even quality and everywhere "Stifel's Wheeling prints" are known by name and appreciated. The success of the house is an illustration of the saying that "merit wins."
The Wheeling Daily Intelligencer, Sept. 14, 1886
Service provided by the staff of the Ohio County Public Library in partnership with and partially funded by the Wheeling National Heritage Area Corporation.