Wheeling Daily Intelligencer, Sept. 15, 1888:
The young colored voters of the city met in Market hall last evening and organized a club of fifty-one members. The meeting was called to order by Prof. James H. Jones, who named Mr. F. W. Wright as temporary chairman. Mr. Wright made a few well chosen remarks. Mr. D. B. Buckner was elected secretary and Mr. W. L. Jones assistant. A committee of five was appointed on permanent organization. The chairman appointed Mr. T. J. Lewis, Green B. Jefferson, John R. Washington, J. Mason Rector and N. L. Dallard. During the absence of the committee remarks were made by several gentlemen, who were cheered to the echo.
The permanent officers reported and elected were: Mr. F. W. Wright, president; H. B. Clemens, vice president; D. B. Buckner, secretary; W. L. Jones, assistant secretary; Ashby Jeffries, treasurer; George McMechen, sargeant-at-arms.
The club was named, by a rousing vote, "The Young Men's Atkinson Club." Ham. Davis was elected captain of the marching club and J. R. Washington, first lieutenant. The other officers will be elected at the next regular meeting, Friday, September 21.
The intention is make the club such an one as will reflect credit upon
the colored citizens of the chief city of the State. The meeting was harmonious
and all voiced the opinion that the success of the club was assured.
Wheeling Daily Intelligencer, Sept. 22, 1888:
Service provided by the staff of the Ohio County Public Library in partnership with and partially funded by Wheeling National Heritage Area Corporation.